Monday, January 19, 2009

Crash

Well it's early in the morning and I just finished watching a beautiful movie. 
Crash.
Involving a star-studded cast including Matt Dillon, Thandie Newton, Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Ben Fraser and a number of other actors the movie truly surprised me.

I have a confession to make though. I thought this movie was just another one of Matt Dillon's signature drug movies like Drugstore Cowboy. And though I was disappointed that Dillon plays one of the less-likable characters it seemed I had stumbled onto something more. The thing I loved most about this movie is the fact that the people who I thought would die never did. And the people who I thought would live shockingly died. It's nice to experience true shock in a movie rather then knowing who's gone before they actually are. 

Another thing that impacted me was the soundtrack, I'm actually listening to some of Mark Isham's (the composer) work right now. This guy generated music so sensitive and fitting for each scene that I had to look him up and download a few tracks. 

I love the ending mood. In fact this will be the first time in history that I am actually impressed with how a movie ended. Because even though it does shine it's light on some of the characters others are still in the same situation that they will probably have to deal with for eternity. And the last scene shows the despair that the movie was on about to begin with. Its nice to see a movie that didn't end absolutely in despair but certainly did not tie everything up in a neat, moral and conclusive package. The ending was realistic yet cinematically beautiful to the point where I was actually impressed with how they ended it. Because I've seen how hard it is to end the movie just right and these guys achieved it.

But the one most amazing thing about this film is that it actually brought tears to my eyes. I never cry over a movie...ever. To realize I was crying over such a simple but beautiful scene shocked me completely. It shocked me more then any unexpected death or amazing sequence in that entire movie. And if a film has the capability to make me unexpectedly cry then it certainly must've done something right. 

This movie wasn't just another racial issues classroom assignment. This is The Movie you have to see. I could watch this movie over and over if I could, I give it a 9 out of 10 only because a 10 out of 10 would mean it was perfect and I don't think I know what perfect is yet. If i told you to watch a film before I had no idea what I was talking about. You must see Crash before you can call yourself a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment