Friday, January 2, 2009

12 Monkeys


Now most audiences avoid sci-fis. But unlike The day the Earth Stood Still this is a movie that was sci fi with a hint of emotional drama that wasn't crap.

Out in 1995 and directed by Terry Gilliam this movie hit the box office with great success. Launching itself with Bruce Willis as the lead, a prisoner from 2035 in a post-apocalyptic underground world is offered a chance to be set free by "volunteering" to be sent back in time to collect traces of the virus that ultimately sent his race underground. The bummer on his end is when he does get sent back in time the people of that year think he's crazy. And that's when he meets another mental patient (the one and only Brad Pitt)

Now the things to note in this film is that it was inspired by the french short film La Jette', that's why you'll notice the accordion music which plays multiple times. It has a great ending, shocking but satisfactory and I will be honest it's got a plot that you really need to think about. I didn't fully understand the plot and ending until I watched it a second time. Some of you might hate that, wanting an immediate conclusion so you can appreciate the movie but sometimes I think it's good to have a movie that is still making you think a couple days after.

Other then my usual thoughts I have to donate a paragraph to Pitt. His performance was hardcore. Brad actually went to Terry (the director) and requested the role. He said and this is a direct quote "I'm sick of being the blonde bimbo. I want to be appreciated for my acting, not my looks" And to prove it Pitt cut his hair himself and inserted brown contacts to hide is baby blue eyes. Not only did he prove he was committed to the role, he proved he was perfect for it. 
He actually hung around a mental institute to study his character and spent forever training himself for it. And when you see it on the screen you will understand. He did such a awesome job he won a golden globe for best supporting actor. And he bloody earned it. 

I was also surprised at Willis, commonly known for his standard action roles (the die hard legend lives on) he took on a different character who is actually vulnerable a lot of the time.

So I liked it, had to watch it twice to connect the dots but even so liked it. Awesome performances, halarious charcters and an aweosme storyline meshed with 90's.

10 out of 10 for Brad's work
8 out of 10 for B.B (Bruce Boy) 
8 out of 10 over all for me. 

It rocked, watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment